North American Online Gamblers Still Waiting for

24 July 2010

After the crash of the first North American online gambling site, and the final admission of the B.C. Lottery Corporation that it had a privacy breach where over 130 players had their private information seen by other players, the government today said they have no idea when the site will reopen for business.

Rich Coleman, the Housing and Social Development Minister did not give a timeline has to when the problem would be fixed and players could return to play. When he was questioned about how much the delay would cost, his has a rather non-chalet answer,

“Oh, not a lot because it wasn’t expected to be a huge revenue generator in the first couple days anyway. And, frankly, it doesn’t matter what the cost is. We had an issue with the technical side of it and it needs to be fixed.”

Originally the B.C. lottery commission re-launched the site on Jusy 15th after spending $7.3 million for a redesign and to add new games. Just hours after the much anticipated debut, the site crashed. The lottery commission blamed the onslaught of traffic as the reason for the failure but later admitted they had a technical glitch that lead to private information on players being able to be seen by other player.

This time, they have added two more servers and according to Mr. Coleman, a third party will review the site and verify it is secure and ready to go.

Not everyone is satisfied with what is happening however. Shane Simpson, NDP opposition critic thinks that because the delay is taking so long, that it is an indication of bigger problems than being reported.

“What we do know now is the problems were much more significant at the corporation than let on at the beginning,” he said. “Being far too hasty in getting it [] up when they did instead of taking their time to make sure that it was operating properly, and as a consequence it is going to cost us more money than if we would have done it right in the first place.”

So far, there is still confidence on the lottery corporation as Premier Gordon Campbell said in a recent press conference,

“I think we always have to be vigilant. We have to learn from all the mistakes that are made and when mistakes are made, I think that’s exactly what they’ve tried to do.”

For now, B.C. gamblers must wait.

Related News

  • 21 July 2010 Shut Down Over Privacy Breach

    Though we thought it was the high demand of players that were trying to access the B.C. Lottery Corporation’s new gambling site that had it shut down Thursday morning shortly after a much heralded launch. We find out now it was a privacy breach that was the cause of the shut down.

    Read full article
  • 23 August 2010 Re-Launches for Online Gamblers

    After more than a month of being shut down due to a security breach just hours into their launch, re-launched right before the weekend under much less fan fair. According to the British Columbia Lottery Corporation CEO Michael Graydon, the approval was given following a review by consulting firm Deloitte and the site had permission to be back online at 7p.m Thursday.By 10 p.m., the site was still not online however and a check at 2a.m. Friday found it still not online.

    Read full article
  • 16 February 2011 Security Investigation Complete

    The investigation into the Canadian online gambling site by the B.C. Information and Privacy Commissioner Elizabeth Denham has concluded and said that the site had not taken sufficient steps to protect its player’s privacy when it launched July 15th. The PlayNow site was shut down within hours of its initial launch. It was said at the time that it was a server overload but later the B.C.

    Read full article